Faovrite 'Green' Movie?

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Eye Opener: Learning Activity Results

Hey everybody. So in last weeks reflection, I put in a video clip from Toy Story, just as a different way to say hello. So I got thinking about another way, and I thought of a song, 'Hey Jude' by the Beatles. I've never loved the Beatles, they're awesome, just not my favorite band ever. But 'Hey Jude' is an amazingly awesome song. So below is a video of the song that you can listen to when ya read the blog if you'd liked.



So this Eye Opener asked us to go to out Web Groups blogs and check out and complete their Online Learning Activity posts. So I'll go through one by one and give you my results.

-=SHAR=-
For Shar's activity we had to go to the Health Canada website and there was an Indoor Air Pollution Chase game. We had to click on things and it would let us know if it was an allergen. We had to find them all. I'll go room by room.

ROOF
Water Damage
(Birds can potentially be)

BATHROOM
Cleaning Products

BEDROOM
Mold
Paints and Varnishes
(Plants can be as well)

KITCHEN
Gas Stoves

LIVING ROOM
Wood Smoke
Cigarettes
(Indoor Water Fountains Too)

BASEMENT
Furnace
Ozone Generator
Mold Again

LAUNDRY ROOM
Dryer

GARAGE
Cars

The item I chose that is mostly likely to affect me is Cleaning Products. And the solution was to read and follow safety information on the label and manufacturers instructions.


-=HEATHER=-
So for Heather's activity we had to go to Health Partners site, and check out their Cost of Care activity. It will show us what it would cost to get treatment anything. I have chronic back pain. And here is what it said it would cost me without health insurance.



I also had Bronchitis a couple years ago. Here's what it would have cost.



-=KATHY=-
Kathy's activity was to do a crossword puzzle about lead based paint and it's potential harm. This was another fun activity and I actually learned a lot from it. Here are my answers.

DOWN
1) Fetal
3) Older
4) 1978
5) Myth

ACROSS
2) Gasoline
4) 1940
6) Paint
7) Sperm
8) 80%
9) Dust

And as I did this, I was in a room with a couple of people so I started to talk to them about our house, and I gave them some neat facts that I found from doing this activity!


-=Kaileigh=-
For Kaileigh's activity we had to go to the FCIC's page and learn about Long Term Health Care. Once we did that, we had to comment on what we learned.

I didn't even realize what long term health care was until I read this. But I know now that it is the health care you get when you are either older and need to be in a nursing home, or even an assisted living home. It is also for people who are in a serious accident and need constant care.

I also learned that about 19 percent of Americans aged 65 and older experience some degree of chronic physical impairment. I dont know how many people that actually is, but I know it is a lot of people. And they all need Health Care.

Also, one year in a nursing home can cost about $50,000. Holy schnikes that's a lot. I'm pretty sure I haven't made that much money in all of my years of working.

So what's my opinion. I don't really know. Because I can see the side's to both arguments. In the end I'm sure my vote would go for affordable LTC for everybody.


-=Christen=-
For Christen's activity we had to watch 'The Health Insurance Game', and discuss whether we felt the video showed bias or whether it was an appropriate demonstration.

I thought it was a good thing to watch. They showed heavy bias, but in this situation I don't see why they wouldn't. But overall I thought it was a good way to get their point across. Because it definitely a huge issue, one that's only going to grab our attention more and more as soon as we get off of our parents health insurance.






6 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Nice work on this reflection! I really like the headers you created. Overall, I thought each activity was beneficial in it's own way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve-
    Awesome job on the learning activities.. I really think they helped us learn a lot.. I am glad we got to take part in these activities!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve!
    I love the intro videos you put in your posts! Good call on the Hey Jude song!! :)
    Looks like you learned a lot by doing these interactive activities. I am glad you talked to roommates about the issue of lead! Good job doing the assignments Steve!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    First of all, another great video! hahaha. You did a really great job on all of the learning activities! Your post looks very nice and organized! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve- Great job..I think you took a lot away from each of these acitivites. I was most surprised by the cleaning products in Shar's post as well. I also liked your video lol!! :)

    ReplyDelete